Profiles in Power: Horseradish

Posted in Cleansing, Infection Killing Protocol, Profiles, Supplements, and Troubleshooting

If you’ve been working the UTI protocol, and either your intestinal Candida is barely budging, or the bacteria in your bladder seems oddly unaffected by the natural meds, you’re dealing with a biofilm, whether produced by Candida, or the bacteria.

The presence of Candida biofilm is relatively easy to determine, as I’ve already mentioned in this Troubleshooting post. Many cases are easily eradicated by an activated charcoal cleanse, as outlined here, but in cases where there’s a significant past history of prolonged anti-fungal or corticosteroid use, the treatment is going to be somewhat more complicated. First of all, you want to stay on the Quick and Dirty Cleanse protocol, and you want to get horseradish root (benefits for the bladder and other systems found here) from your local grocery store, and a digestive enzyme supplement like this one. I haven’t observed enzymes to be very efficacious on their own, but paired with horseradish, they may be more effective. (take according to label instructions)

Anti-fungals need to be paired with a biofilm disruptor, which is a combination of specific enzymes that are designed to eat their way through the matrix.

Candida and other types of yeasts have no resistance and are not able to build a resistance to enzymes like they may be able to do with drugs or herbs. There are no side effects, only side benefits with this type of biofilm disruptor. When looking for an enzyme formula make sure and find one that contains a varied number of enzymes to target the layer of the cell wall, biofilm, nucleus and fibrin.

Enzymes to look for specifically in a product are cellulase, glucoamylase, amylase, invertase, protease, and serrapeptase.

Horseradish is an excellent source of natural biofilm-destroying compounds, link here

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 11.56.06 AM

…and as shown in the graph below, is highly effective against the biofilm of some strains of E. coli as well.

zam9991030810003

Competition between iberin and AHL signal molecules. The reporter lasR lasB-gfp (E. coli) (light gray bars), rhlR rhlA-lacZ (E. coli) (medium gray bars), and luxR-PluxI-gfp (E. coli) (dark gray bars) strains were treated with different concentrations of iberin and with the addition of the following concentrations of their cognate signal molecules: 25 nM, 20 μM, and 25 nM, respectively. Cultures with no addition of iberin were defined as 100%. No add, no addition of iberin. The results are based on three independent experiments. Error bars represent means ± standard deviations (SD).

The short and sweet of it is, if you’re doing everything right but not making progress, try adding horseradish to what you’re doing. If you’re using garlic, you can drop it while you’re taking horseradish.
Forget looking for supplements online: you want the fresh root. Unless you’re a hardy soul with a masochistic streak, I would suggest buying empty capsules like these, and stuffing the freshly grated root into them. Horseradish has mustard compounds in it, and if you’re one of those hapless, unwary souls who don’t know about the emetic power of mustard, don’t be like me and make that mental connection the hard way.

giphy (2)

Oh.
Of course.
Horseradish is a mustard. Mustard makes you puke. I knew that.

I just love it when my memory kicks in 10 seconds too late.
Like, “Wait, is it the 11th? I think it’s the 11th. I ovulate on the 11th.
giphy (3)
No, darlings. I’m not pregnant. I speak of the past, which lies shrouded in oblivion now that I have an app with WARNING ALERTS for such things. Klaxons blare, sirens wail…very handy.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, biofilms and horseradish. So, grate your horseradish root with a medium grater, not the kind you use for hard cheeses like Parmesan, something more like this, which should be at your local grocery if it’s not already in your catch-all drawer. Horseradish grates into a dry-ish powder that compresses easily: you want to shoot for about 1/2 tsp of shavings, pressed into capsules and TAKEN WITH FOOD. You can take them with a little soda water to buffer it. Take with every meal, and brace for impact. If you’re taking it for Candida biofilm, you may have a *ahem* watershed experience within 24-36 hours. If you’re taking it for bacterial biofilm, you should notice improved test results within the same period of time. If you don’t, increase the dose size by about 50% over the course of the following 2 days. If you still don’t get improvement, message me on FB, because you have further complications we should chat about. (Like, you’re probably strengthening your biofilm with mineral supplements you’re taking: watch the iron and magnesium!)

WARNING: Horseradish is contraindicated (except in minimal amounts) for pregnant women.

1. Anju
    Anju

Hi Rebekah, I recently discovered your blog and I am a chronic uti sufferer. Right now I am suffering from a klebsiella infection and I did the charcoal cleanse after bowel cleansing.the cloudiness of my urine has diminished but the low level infection is still there. There is absolutely no symptoms now and I am taking ole and other things the way u mentioned. Should I do another cleanse with charcoal? I hav also sent a equestrian to join your fb group. The name is ramjith. Kindly accept my request

June 6, 2017

Okay, with Klebsiella you want to avoid garlic, and use horseradish, cayenne, OLE, and oregano oil.
      I’ll go check FB right now!

Anju

Horseradish is not easily available in india. Is there any other herb that I can use?

June 6, 2017

Is wasabi horseradish easier to find?

2. Anju
    Anju

Request not equestrian lol…

3. Anju
    Anju

Thanks so much for the reply. I am so thankful for the info you have on your blog. It’s just amazing

4. Anju
    Anju

Wasabi paste is ok? Is daikon horseradish fine? That is easily available in india

5. Anju
    Anju

Daikon radish is called “mooli” in india. It’s easy to find

6. Anju
    Anju

Can I use wasabi powder? Am sorry for bothering you like this. I would like to knock out this infection and I am desperate.is there any need to do a second charcoal cleanse?

No bother!
      I think wasabi powder is better than nothing, and worth a try!
      I approved your FB request, so if you want to message on there, or if you want to ask the group for sources in India, feel free!
      We have other Indian members.

June 6, 2017

Another charcoal cleanse is never a bad idea! The healthier your gut is, the better your immune system is able to fight off infection.
      I would go for the wasabi power because it can’t hurt and may help!

7. Anju
    Anju

Thank you so much. I will giv the wasabi powder a try and giv you an update. Should I do one more charcoal cleanse in the meantime. Will it be beneficial in anyway?

Go for it!

8. Joanne McGovern
    Joanne McGovern

Hi Rebekah, I am new here. I had an ecoli infection for three months at the end of last year. Then seemed to get an infection again this year. But the testing strips seem to show leukocytes and no nitrites. I’ve been using OLE, OO, cayenne, and now horseradish which I had to get online because no one has it around here. It seems fresh enough, very strong. I ordered some enzymes which I should get tomorrow. I started taking sodium ascorbate this morning, 2000 mg every two hours. Should I get calcium ascorbate instead? I also could take ascorbic acid as I have plenty of that. I also have been taking grapefruit seed extract, which you do not mention. What do you think of that stuff? I’ve been doing the charcoal. I think it is not relieving my itchy spots. I probably have had candida overgrowth since my teens. I’m now 74. Any help is appreciated. I can’t seem to get rid of this. Should I be taking the same things as Anju?

June 6, 2017

When you test, is it urine that’s been in your bladder for 4 hours or longer?

Joanne McGovern

Usually I have to pee every three hours, but a few nights ago I slept at least six hours and tested. The leukocytes were light purple and there was no change in the nitrates.

June 6, 2017

Joanne, you probably have staph or strep, then!
          I would try a short course of ascorbic acid, as outlined in the post on Vitamin C.
          If it’s staph, it’ll be dead in 3 days.

9. Joanne McGovern
    Joanne McGovern

Could I possibly get an infection from eating over easy eggs with runny yolks? I eat them every morning.

June 6, 2017

No, that would give you a stomach bug, but not a UTI.
      Most cases are caused by a dysbiotic gut/vagina, which happens easily when you’ve been on antibiotics, corticosteroids, or hormone birth control. (Which I’m listing for general information purposes, not because I think you’re on it. ?)

Many bacteria have flagella with which they can propel themselves over the surface of your skin. ?

Joanne McGovern

What should I be taking if it is a gram positive infection?

June 6, 2017

Vitamin C will kill staph by itself, but you’ll still want to do a charcoal cleanse and coconut oil bullets vaginally to prevent future infections.
          If it’s streptococcus..that’s going to be harder. That one’s a bear, requiring OLE, horseradish, oregano, and maybe black cumin seed.
          Let’s cross our fingers for staph! ?

Joanne McGovern